Sunday 15 July 2012

Recipe #28 of NEWrecipes52 ...

Call me a cheat if you like, but I felt this recipe deserved a post all of it's own! It's versatile and can be used with many different desserts, but on this occasion, I used it to top off my cookies and cream cupcakes.

Now, the only other time I've tried added hot sugar syrup into egg whites, was when I tried to make macaroons, and they weren't exactly my finest creation. So I approached this recipe with some trepidation. Never-the-less, not one to concede defeat, I figured I give the method another go and make up a batch of marshmallow icing, using a receipe from the Primrose Bakery book once again ...


Sugar, golden syrup and a tiny amount of water were boiled together until the "soft ball" stage ...


Meanwhile, I whisked up the egg whites to the "soft peek" stage in my stand mixer ...


Then, ever so carefully and with the mixer on a really low speed, the hot sugar syrup was drizzled into the egg whites. The speed was increased and the mixture whisked until glossy and cooled ...


The result was a shiny white, gooey, marshmallowy creamy topping ...


Getting the mixture into the piping bag was VERY messy and I guess I could have just spooned it on top of my cupcakes ...


To top these off, I broke up [nearly a whole] packet of Oreo cookies ...


And popped a couple of broken chunks on top of each cupcake ...


Cute, huh? The marshmallow topping is sooooooo light and wonderfully creamy and surprisingly easy to make ... another HIT in the Wilson household for sure!

2 comments:

kym said...

Wow Sue, my daughter would have that cupcake topping licked clean in one second. Again a wonderful creation, thanks for sharing!

The Caked Crusader said...

Looks great - I'm thinking of dabbling with a similar recipe that uses marshmallow fluff