Monday 31 December 2012

it's that time of year ...

You know, when everyone reflects on what kind of year they had. What went well, what they achieved and what they didn't. I've never done a "review of the year" type post before, so this year I thought I'd give it a try.

I've taken my inspiration from Fabulous Adventures of Listgirl (aka Christine Newman's) blog, which by-the-way is a brilliant read! Christine never ceases to amaze me at just how much "living" she manages to squeeze into any given month. I frequently leave her comments saying how exhausted I am just from reading her blog! Seriously, after you've read my post (and  yes I'm hoping you'll stick around long enough to read it), head on over to Christine's blog and you'll see what I mean.

So without further ado, here's my highly condensed summary of what happened in 2012:



  • I started the year on a creative high with thank you cards and wedding invitations
  • I began a new cooking adventure, lovingly referred to as NEWrecipes52
  • We celebrated Iain's 40th birthday in Barbados
  • The weather was a talking point throughout the year (as normal) from snow and stormy winds messing up the garden, to the very few days of sunshine that was our summer
  • I baked bread for the first time
  • I received 4 bouquets of flowers throughout the year
  • I discovered (& became addicted to) Instagram
  • I "baked" two diaper cakes for friends expecting babies
  • I baked LOTS of real cakes as part of my NEWrecipes52 adventures (although I only got as far as trying out 30 new recipes rather than my intended 52)
  • I watched my beloved Chelsea win the Champions League
  • We celebrated the Queen's Diamond Jubilee with a street party at work
  • Oscraps sub-committee meeting was held in London and we welcomed some of our international friends from Holland (Diane & Maya) and Australia (Ona & Marie)
  • I celebrated by 41st birthday
  • I found Fat Mum Slim's photo-a-day inspiration lists
  • I made my first ever claim on my car insurance (I accidentally scraped the side of someones car in a car-park. The lady was very nice about it & my insurance dealt with the claim very quickly!)
  • The Olympics made me proud to be British
  • Iain and I celebrated our 19th wedding anniversary
  • I finally got my hair cut (after almost a year since the last visit to the salon!)
  • I blagged my way in to One Little Bird's and Paislee Press's creative teams (still pinching myself about both appointments!)
  • Hazel and I went to New York and had a BLAST
  • Iain grew a moustache for #movember and the team he was part of raised over £1000 for men's health charities
  • I created my second Blurb photo book
  • We got creative for our Christmas lunch at work
  • I uploaded 232 Instagram photos (and counting!), blogged 59 time (more than in 2011 - yeah! but less than in 2010 - boo!) and took 2728 photos (not many compared to previous years!)
  • Christmas was a quiet affair at home, just the way we like it

So there you have it, my 2012 in a nutshell. When you see it listed like this, it doesn't really look like I've done a lot. But in between all of the above, I've been working (quite a lot), relaxing (quite a lot) and generally loving my life as it currently is!

I've no doubt that I'll be asleep as the calendar flips over to from 2012 to 2013, so I'll take this opportunity to wish you all a prosperous New Year.Thanks for reading. See you next year!

2 comments:

kym said...

Hi Sue, what a fulling year you've had! I'm so jealous that you are on both CT for Liz and Peppermint. Put in a good word for me, would love the opportunity to be on their teams. Many wishes to you for a happy and healthy 2013!.

listgirl said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your year-in-review! Thanks for mentioning my blog in the process. :) It looks like you had quite the fantastic year. Barbados and NYC too! Wishing you a fabulous 2013!