Sunday 1 April 2012

Recipe #10 of NEWrecipes52 ...

Back to what I bake best ... cakes! I was given a series of recipe cards from my boss at work, [thank you Paula ♥] and one of them included a rather tasty looking recipe for cappuccino cake. Now I say "tasty looking" but I'm not actually a fan of coffee. In fact, I really don't like the bitter taste of it at all. However, my hubby loves the stuff and so this bake was for him ...

The usual suspects ...


The recipe called for the cocoa powder to be mixed with warm water to make a thick, chocolaty paste ...


Then it was just a case of mixing all the other ingredients into a dark, rich batter and pouring into greased / lined tins ...


25 minutes at 160oC later, and here's how they looked ...


Once the cakes were cool, I whipped up half a pint(!) of double cream and added a shot of instant coffee ...


Half the whipped coffee cream was used to fill the cake ...


The other half was then spread evenly on top ...


A generous dusting of cocoa powder for decoration (+ flavour!) ...


And a big slice served up for dessert ...


Now even though I dislike coffee immensely, this cake was really rather nice! The coffee flavour was subtle and actually really enhanced the yummy chocolate taste, rather than over-powered it. So although I started out baking this for hubby ... I do confess to indulging in a slice [or two] myself!

1 comment:

Helen said...

Look at you! Cooking up a storm! WTG Sue!