Friday 6 April 2012

Recipe #11 of NEWrecipes52 ...

Just in time for Easter and I thought I'd try baking hot cross buns. The recipe I followed came from Rachel Allen's Bake book ...


I already had all the ingredients in my cupboards (love it when that happens!). Yeast and warm milk doing it's stuff ...


Make a well in the dry ingredients ...


Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ...


Then knead!

Now, I was feeling particularly lazy and so I thought I'd let my mixer take the strain. Using a dough hook attachment, I set the mixer of a really slow speed and set it to work for around 5 minutes ...


Once the dough had "come together", it was set aside in a warm location for around 2hrs, until it had doubled in size, just like regular bread ...


After the wait, I knocked the air out of the dough, then kneaded again for a couple of minutes to get a really smooth, shiny dough. I took pieces (approx 40g in weight) and rolled them into bun shapes, using a sharp knife I cut the cross shape on top, then added a little egg wash and made a "cross" of shortcrust pastry and let the buns prove ...


A quick glaze of egg wash and then into a hot oven ...


Actually, a little too hot! My buns cooked a little too quickly and got a little darker than I'd intended ...


But that really didn't matter because whilst they were still warm, I split and buttered them and had one (or two!) with a mid-morning cup of tea ...

1 comment:

kym said...

That looks so yummy! I just tried my first attempt at making cake pops. I'll have to blog about it later.