Sunday 25 March 2012

Recipe #9 of NEWrecipes52 ...

A savoury turn this week. Well actually, I made this last weekend but I'm running about a week behind on all my recipe posts at the moment, though I'm hoping to rectify that this week.

Anyhoo, back to the recipe ... spicy chicken pasties, chosen from my [now] trusted and favoured "Great British Bake Off - How To Bake" recipe book and a chance to raid my woefully under-used spiced rack. The recipe called for cayenne pepper, turmeric, ground cumin, ground coriander and freshly grated ginger ...


The secrets to this recipe is PREPARATION and TIME. I measured out all the ingredients and had them all ready to go, otherwise I would've been scrambling around trying to get the lids off my spice jars, when I should have been processing the pastry. The pastry and yogurt marinade were made well in advance, to give the best possible flavour. The colours were gorgeous ...



A little word of caution here ... turmeric STAINS!!! It produces the most amazingly intense yellow colour for the pastry, but once I cleaned down I worktops I was left with a slight discolouration which I needed to use a bleach cleaner to get rid of.

The content of the pasties was the 2 or 3 pieces of cooked marinated spiced chicken, with a teaspoon of mango chutney ...


How cute do they look with their edges all neatly crimped and glossy with a freshly applied coat of egg-wash?


They were truly scrumptious! The pastry was crumbly, the chicken fragrantly spiced and the mango chutney was sweet and oh so wonderfully sticky ...


I took soooooo many photos whilst making these pasties ... so many in fact, that I created a LO showcasing some of them ...

Credits:
Template - Designed by Timounette, 12 Photos of Christmas
File tabs - Fei-Fei's Stuff, Sweet As Candy

1 comment:

grannie said...

Will you stop cooking all this yummy looking stuff! You're making me hungry lol

I've nominated you for a Liebster Award - check out my blog for details :-) x