Tuesday 16 February 2010

Shrove Tuesday means ...

... pancakes!!! I usually refer to Shrove Tuesday as Pancake Day and it's traditional [in my house anyway] to make homemade pancakes, why we don't make these delicious treats more regularly, I really don't know ... they are so yummy and sooooooooo easy to make. The recipe I follow is super quick & simple:

4oz plain flour
1 egg
1/2 pint milk
Pinch of salt

Sift the flour into a mixing bowl, add the egg and a little of the milk and mix together to form a sticky paste, then slowly add the remainder of the milk and whisk to form a smooth batter. Add the pinch of salt, then put the batter mix into the fridge to chill (I usually leave it for at least a couple of hours).

When you're ready to start cooking, pour a little oil into a frying pan and turn the heat up high. Then carefully spoon the batter mix into the pan, swirling it around to get an even coating. After a few moments, the edges of the batter mix will start to lift slightly and the pancake should slide easily in the pan. Now for the really fun bit ...

Grab the pan (preferably with both hands!) and give a swift flick of your wrist ...

And toss the pancake ...

And flip it ... (poking your tongue out is optional!)

Smile for the camera ...

Slide the cooked & flipped pancake onto a waiting warmed plate ...

And smother with the topping of your choice (my preference is for Golden Syrup + dusting of icing sugar, but a squeeze of lemon is tasty too) ...


Enjoy!!!

8 comments:

Madi said...

Fun pictures, Sue! My mother in law makes Belgian waffles! Last day of Carnaval here!

Nini said...

Sue!!!! Love this post... and those photos!!!!!! Fantastic! ... And now you've made me crave pancakes!!!! Yum!!!
I'm supposed to pick up my new computer at Apple tomorrow at 3pm.......... I just can't wait!!!!
My ds just brought his laptop to my room and said I can use until 5pm before he starts his homework! He knows I'm going crazy!! LOL!!!

Bush Girl said...

Ooooooooohhhhhhhhhh these photos! You simply have to scrap these - particularly piccy number 3 - love that tongue sticking out the side of the mouth. Classic!

Che said...

Love the photos!! hehehe. Thanks for the recipe too! That looks soooo yummy!! Will definitely try it tomorrow! :)

Maya de Groot (Madigirl) said...

Those pictures are too cool!! Love them!!

sally said...

i adore your post!! and now I sooooooo want some pancakes!!! LOVE this, sue!!!

danenan said...

hehehe, that tongue is so familiar! Everyone in my family does it except me LOL. Yummy pancakes!!

Helen said...

LOVE pancakes and DH usually tries to make gluten free for me but never quite the same. Have a great week Sue!