Monday 23 July 2012

Recipe #29 of NEWrecipes52 ...

This week, I wanted to try something super quick and easy and it really doesn't get much easier than Mars Bar cake, which only requires 4 ingredients ...

Mars Bars (x6 standard 58g size)
Golden syrup (3 tbsp)
Butter (70g)
Cornflakes (200g)


There's no baking what-so-ever in this recipe. It's more just a chase of melting stuff together ...


Once the butter has melted into the golden syrup, you throw in the roughly chopped Mars Bars and watch them melt ...


Now I must confess to feeling a bit nervous at this point, because the melting chocolate bars didn't look all that appetising ...


Thankfully though, after a few more minutes of melting, the chocolate turned silky smooth and perfect for coating the cornflakes ...


Then it's just a case of stirring ...


lots and lots of stirring to make sure all the gooey goodness at the bottom of the pan wasn't missed ...


The coated flakes were then tipped into a prepared / lined baking tray (or in my case, one of my funky silicon baking molds) and pressed down firmly, using the back of a spoon ...


It's at this point that I veered away from the recipe (which, by the way, is from The Primrose Bakery recipe book again) and I put my cake into the fridge to firm up. The recipe book said to keep it at room temperature, but I MUCH prefer it chilled, straight from the fridge ...


and served with a cup of tea, whilst enjoying this welcome summer sunshine that's finally made an appearance here in my neck of Oxfordshire ...

2 comments:

kym said...

Sue, I really want to try this! What is "golden syrup"? I think we may call it Karo or sweet corn syrup here in the states. Or do you mean more like maple syrup used with pancakes? I am a chocoholic!

Sue said...

Hi Kym! I had to do a bit of research but found a great website for finding US / UK equivilent foods it's www.foodsubs.com/syrups they say Golden Syrup is called light treacle in USA. Apparently Karo syrup is sweetned with vanilla and believe me when I say this cake is sweet enough! Good luck finding a suitable substitute and let me know how you get on, ok? Hugs, Sue